Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Five: Reasons Pets are AWESOME

I had a different Friday Five planned, but I've got other things on my mind today. My parents have become "snowbirds" and spend their winters in Florida. This year they were gone from mid January through last weekend. While they were gone, my mom mentioned that my childhood cat was "getting skinny" and "refusing her favorite foods" a few times, but I didn't realize the severity of the issue until they got home last Sunday.

Our poor kitty was down to about 5 pounds and on my extremely non-veterinary trained exam seemed to have some tenderness and fullness in her belly. The next day trip to the vet confirmed my suspicions; intertwined GI tumors with no potential treatment. The vet advised my parents to keep her comfortable at home as long as possible, and call if things got worse.

In what I would describe as the best possible outcome she passed sometime early this morning in the home she loved, with my parents (who adore her) and her grown-up kitten (she was pregnant when we rescued her) nearby. Rest in peace Mousey, you will be missed.

In her honor I am sharing five reasons that life is so much better with a pet...

  1. They comfort you when you are sad. Sometimes their big expressive eyes say more to soothe you than any words any person could come up with.
  2. They wait for you to come home and act SO excited to see you every single day - which totally makes you feel like a rock star.
  3. Their warm little bodies next to you can calm you after even the worst day.
  4. They LOVE you in exchange for the simple act of meeting their basic needs.
  5. They love you SO much, they love (tolerate?) your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment