Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Farmer's Market Menu Planning

We do have a few year round farmer's markets (Troy Waterfront Market), but this is really the start of the season to start looking for fresh local products. I try to go every weekend (missed it last weekend because I was in the office) and check out what things are starting to become available. I spend the rest of the week searching out and pinning recipes so I am ready to cook with what I get the following week.This year I've been frequenting the Troy market, but might check out the Delmar one next weekend.  This was the first weekend that my goal was really to buy the majority of my groceries at the farmer's market. Pictured below is what I purchased with links to the vendors that I could remember...

1/3 pound spicy mixed lettuces
Overflowing pint of radishes
About 1 pound of red beets
Bundle of garlic scapes
Bunch of dill
Quart of white button mushrooms
Dozen local eggs
1/2 gallon whole milk
Pint of chocolate milk
1/2 pound "Rasta Pasta" blend
1/2 pound Garlic Basil fettuccine
1 lb mild Italian pork sausage
2 large chicken thighs
1.3 pounds of cube steak
I can't remember the exact prices of everything, but I went into the market with $60 and left with a pocket of change and a single dollar bill. I'm guessing I spent about $57 dollars. Not pictured, but also prominent in my menu planning is a loaf of white wheat bread from All Good Bakers that they generously gave me for free when I was in for lunch on Friday.

So far I've made:

  • a simple green salad using a handful of the radishes tossed with some store bought organic lettuce I had to use up, cucumber, and shallots and dressed with a homemade dill dressing and homemade croutons
  • thick slices of french toast (simply whisk 4 eggs, about 1/4 cup of milk, and a generous splash of vanilla then soak your bread slices before cooking in a buttered skillet/griddle - add a delicious crust to the slices by sprinkling one side with organic cane sugar as it cooks) and fried eggs
Check back later this week for more recipe/meal ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment