Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kitchen Tips

Food is one of my favorite things in the world. I spend hours each day thinking about food. I think about breakfast as soon as I wake up. I carefully plan what I'm going to eat at work. I think about what to cook my family for dinner. I read Pinterest and Bon Appetit magazine looking for new recipes. It's an obsession.

Because I love food so much, the idea of wasting food drives me crazy. I hate when a recipe calls for just part of something because it raises the likelihood that the other part will end up in the trash. I can't think of any product this happens to more often than tomato paste! The stuff is great to thicken sauce or chili, but you rarely need more than 1-2 Tbsp. So what happens to the rest?

Do you just admit that you don't need it and throw it away? Do you put it in the fridge and pretend you're going to use it only to find it shoved in the back growing mold three weeks later? If either of these scenes sound familiar, this post is for you!
I can't remember where I originally saw this tip, but it's a great one! After you open a can of tomato paste prevent the rest from going to waste by following these simple steps...


  1. Use a tablespoon to measure out level scoops of tomato paste.
  2. Place tomato paste on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
  3. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least one hour until solid
  4. Remove the tomato paste scoops from the cookie sheet and store in a bag or freezer safe container.
After following these simple steps you'll save yourself from the guilt of throwing away your unused tomato paste AND have pre-measured portions of tomato paste at arm's length the next time you need it. Total win-win situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment