Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Vaccines

One week ago Maddie and I reached a milestone - her two month doctor visit. As all parents know, this is when the vaccines start. Since I started residency last July I've been telling parents how important the vaccines are, how unlikely reactions are, giving them vaccine information sheets, and then running away while the nurses take on the dirty work of actually administering the shots. But today, there was no running away. Not only was I there, but I had to play an active role in the process. First, I had to hold her in my arms while she received the oral Rotavirus vaccine. She didn't like the taste and cried a bit, but her protest was mild compared to what was coming. Then, it was time for the shots (<---for full listing of each disease, see the links on this general info page). My job was to hold her little arms and look into her little eyes while the nurses each took a leg.

I have to admit, the nurses were amazing. They coordinated the first two shots by counting down together (one, two, three...stick!), one nurse did the third shot, and she was back in my arms in less than thirty seconds. I'm not going to lie, she cried and gave me a look of utter betrayal when they stuck her, but it was short-lived. As soon as the nurses left the room, I sat down with her and let her nurse. She was asleep within five minutes and stayed that way for the whole ride home. She was her usual happy self when she woke up from her nap and continued to be herself the rest of the evening. One leg had the tiniest of bruises at the injection site the next day, but the other leg was perfect.

So, what did I learn? Here's my advice for a happy vaccine experience with an infant
  1. Give them a dose of tylenol approximatley 1 hour before the expected administration. Tylenol dosing for infants is based on weight, so you have to CALL YOUR PEDIATRICIAN for a dose recommendation. If you forget, ask your doctor to give your baby some tylenol in the office.
  2. Be prepared to do whatever usually comforts your baby when they are excessively upset immediately after the shots. If your baby takes a pacifier or likes a certain toy - bring it with you!
  3. Give your baby a second dose of tylenol at home later in the day (at least 4-6 hours after the first dose!!). The point of the tylenol is just in case they have any pain at the injection site.
  4. A common misconception is that it is normal for babies to get fever or sickness from their vaccines. A slightly elevated temperature (99-100) is normal, but anything over 100.4 is still a reason to call the pediatrician as your baby could be developing another illness. Also, you always need to take rectal temperatures in your 2 month old for the most accurate result!

No comments:

Post a Comment