Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Slow Cooker Apple Butter




This weekend I realized my apple supply was dwindling AND they were starting to get some soft spots. As we were planning to be out of the house all day, I couldn't dedicate myself to any big baking projects to use them up before they spoiled. I quickly scanned my list of "to do" apple recipes and realized that nothing fit! Always willing to improvise when it comes to cooking, I did a quick google search and decided to switch my overly-ambitious-stand-by-the-stove-for-2-hours-stirring (really, I have no idea what I was thinking...) apple butter for a slow cooker version. I was NOT disappointed by the swap and I don't think you will be either because this recipe is delicious!

 Based off a recipe found here from My Baking Addiction...

4 pounds apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar*
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed*
2 teaspoons apple pie spice

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

*I used more sugar because my apples were a tart variety. If you have sweeter apples, scale back your sugar*

  1. Chop up all apples and pile into your crockpot.
  2. Mix both sugars and all spices together until blended in a medium sized bowl.
  3. Pour sugar/spice mixture over apple slices and stir.
  4. Add apple cider to crockpot.
  5. Cook on low heat setting for approximately 7 hours.
  6. Add vanilla extract and stir mixture well. It will have darkened in color and many of the apples will have "dissolved" into the mixture. Cook 1 more hour.
  7. Turn off heat and use blender to puree mixture (use immersion blender if you have one!). Be careful as it is going to be very hot!
  8. This recipe made four small mason jars (with a little extra that I just spooned into a small bowl). If you can be sure you have people to distribute it to that will use it within 2 weeks, your work is done! I went the extra step and canned it according to the instructions here.


No comments:

Post a Comment