Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, June 23, 2014

Gluten-Free Pesto Pasta Salad

Pasta salad is such an easy side dish (and great summer BBQ food) that I've been lamenting the loss of it since I started eating gluten-free. I've been aware of the gluten-free pasta varieties available, but was really trying to keep away and push myself towards more vegetables instead.

This weekend I decided grilled sausage (made at my favorite local deli) with peppers, mushrooms, and onions sounded like a really yummy and easy dinner. I'm not sure why, but I really couldn't get the idea of pasta salad as an accompaniment out of my head. 

As I was brainstorming, I was torn. Bottled salad dressing is something I really try to avoid these days (so many additives!), but I also didn't feel like making an Italian dressing from scratch. As I mentioned in my post about the kale salad, my husband is critical of my real food attempts and I knew that if I tried to make a traditional pasta salad with gluten-free pasta and homemade Italian dressing I was setting myself up for complaints. 

Instead, I found inspiration in my over-grown basil plant on the kitchen windowsill. I would make a pesto! I was counting on the stronger flavor of the pesto as a dressing to overshadow any flavor or texture issues that my husband could have with the brown rice pasta - and it worked! He didn't question the origins of the pasta and the salad wasn't measuring up against any expectation of what it *should* taste like so he just ate it and enjoyed. Success! 

Obviously this salad could be made with regular pasta, but try it out with a gluten-free variety and see what you think!

Gluten-Free Pesto Pasta Salad

Ingredients
1/2 lb cooked, drained, and cooled brown rice pasta
1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes

1 cup packed basil leaves
1 tbsp pine nuts or almonds (I used almonds)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (use good quality stuff, not the stuff from a can!)
1/4 cup olive oil

  1. Prepare the pasta and set aside to cool.
  2. Chop the tomatoes and set aside.
  3. Put all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend. Add more oil, if needed, to thin appropriately.
  4. Mix the pasta, tomatoes, and pesto together.
  5. Chill at least two hours before serving for flavors to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment