Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Quest 2012 (or how I plan to use a peck of apples)



As a kid, as a young adult, and as a mommy I remember picking apples nearly every fall. Unfortunately, due to unseasonable warm spring weather followed by a hard frost, the local apple orchards are struggling to harvest their crop this year and most are forgoing the tradition of "pick-your-own." There was hope that Indian Ladder Farms would be able to host PYO this past weekend, but the field was completely picked over on Saturday and they were only selling apples in the store when we got there Sunday morning. Although disappointed, we made the best of the morning by visiting all the animals, snacking on fresh cider donuts and cider, and picking up a peck of Cortland apples from the store. It's pretty traditional to make an apple pie after picking fresh apples, so I'm trying to branch out this year and have a new line-up of recipes to try!

Here are the recipes I've bookmarked to use up my apple supply. These are all in addition to the usual snacking as is, eating with sliced cheddar, slathering with peanut butter, and dipping in caramel sauce that we usually do. I'll try to post the ones I get to with my commentary on how they came out, but for now, feel free to take advantage of my hours of pinning and blog perusing and make some yourself!

Apple Pancakes from Serious Eats
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars from Made in Melissa's Kitchen
Apple Pie Cookies from Annie's Eats
Apple Fritters from The Pioneer Woman
Apple Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream from Made in Melissa's Kitchen
Caramel Apple Dip from Made in Melissa's Kitchen
Apple Butter from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy

No comments:

Post a Comment