Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Apple Sheet Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream

This is actually not the first recipe I made with my apples, but it was so good that I am blogging about it first.  So here's the deal, my photo of this cake is terrible. It's dark and does not at all show how amazing this cake is. The truth is that my husband changed photo editing programs and the new one scares me - I've known for months that I need to bite the bullet and ask him for a mini-tutorial on improving my photo quality, but my sad photo of this cake might be the final straw. Alas, here it is...



If you've ever tasted my baked goods (or have enjoyed previous baking posts) and trust my palate at all - MAKE THIS CAKE! I based the recipe from the original that can be found over on Mother Thyme's website

For the cake:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
2 heaping cups peeled grated apples (about 2 medium apples)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pan (9x13 rectangular pan) by greasing and flouring.
  2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.
  3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy with electric mixer.
  4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing for 1 minute after each addition.
  5. Add milk and vanilla, mixing well after addition.
  6. Stir in grated apples.
  7. In three additions, gradually add flour mixture just until dry ingredients are incorporated into batter.
  8. Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
For Salted Caramel Frosting:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/3 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt

2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoons milk
  1. Make the caramel by melting butter, light brown sugar, half & half, and cream of tartar over medium heat.
  2. Boil the mixture for 3 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat, stir in salt, and let the caramel cool.
  4. *After making the caramel I realized that the original recipe makes WAY too much frosting for this smallish cake. Once the caramel was cooled, I only used half to make the buttercream. I saved the rest of the caramel to use for a different recipe*
  5. Mix 1/2 of the caramel with 1/2 -1 cup of confectioner's sugar at at time. After all sugar is incorporated, add milk and whip the frosting for at least 1 minute.
The frosting is delicious, but this cake really is SO GOOD that it could stand alone or be adorned with a simple scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of homemade whipped cream.


FYI - I don't have any "in progress" shots of this cake because I was baking with this little monster:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment