Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One Recipe Two Ways

Last week I was churning out sweets and treats like you wouldn't believe. Overall, I was very happy with how things came out, but have been obsessing over the process I went through with my cake pops. I've done them before and although they always take forever, I've never been quite as ready to pull my hair out as I was with those Hello Kitty pops. The craziest part is that the decorating wasn't the hard part, it was getting the cake to stay on the stick! In line with my OCD personality, I've been obsessing about having a redo to prove to myself that it was the stupid box mix that created the issues and not my lack of skills.

As I had also promised my co-worker I would make another batch of red velvet cupcakes for her family, I came up with the following plan: double the batch of red velvet cupcake batter, use half for her cupcakes and half for a 9 x 13 sheet cake, make a single batch of marshmallow fluff frosting, and use the sheet cake to make cake pops. I did make one of the cake balls into a pop (and it worked perfectly!), but just made the rest into truffles. Have I mentioned that I hate how calling them "cake balls" sounds? I glam it up by calling them truffles. I present to you...

Red Velvet Cupcakes and Red Velvet Cake Truffles


All you have to do to make the truffles is:
  1. Crush the sheet cake by hand. 
  2. Set aside about a cup of crumbs. 
  3. Mash in all the remaining frosting left after you frost the 12 cupcakes. If the mashed up dough seems too wet, add more of the crumbs that you reserved. If not, chuck them in the garbage bin, use them as garnish, or eat them right then and there with your fingers. 
  4. Roll the dough into small 1-1/2 inch balls and freeze for 1 hour. 
  5. Melt 1/2 bag of dark chocolate morsels in a double boiler.
  6. Dip the balls and put on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
  7. Refrigerate (or just set aside) until chocolate is set.
  8. Try not to eat them all in one setting...

No comments:

Post a Comment