Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Healthier Zucchini Bread

I love this time of year for fresh local produce. One of the most abundant items available right now at the farm markets and stands seems to be zucchini. As my little bug loves banana bread, I thought I'd give zucchini bread a try instead. Per my usual routine, I scoured my favorite cookbooks as well as Allrecipes.com for a good recipe to try. This is the top rated recipe from Allrecipes. Below you will find my modifications to make it healthier.

Modified Recipe (changes in italics)
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
  • no salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3+ tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup splenda
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
    no nuts

Bake in two loaf pans (greased or sprayed with cooking spray) at 325 for 40-60 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment