Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Beef and Sweet Potato Stew

I purchased some all natural/grass-fed/antibiotic-free beef when I was at the grocery store this weekend with the intention of cooking Beef, Potato, and Quinoa soup from Skinnytaste. My day ended up getting too busy with the girls and I didn't get it on the stove cooking early enough. I needed to use the beef, so I decided to improvise. My husband doesn't like plain old beef stew (the obvious choice), so this is what I came up with instead.


Beef and Sweet Potato Stew (3 points plus)
Serves 6 with a serving size of a heaping 1/2 cup

2 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup scallions (white and green parts)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 lb beef for stewing, cut into small bite sized pieces
1 cup beef broth
1 large sweet potato, diced

  1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. 
  2. Add scallions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
  3. Add cilantro and diced tomatoes and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
  4. Mix beef and cumin into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes until meat is no longer pink.
  5. Remove pan from heat and pour beef mixture into crockpot.
  6. Stir in sweet potatoes and beef broth.
  7. Cook on high for 4 hours
I served this over white rice (3 points plus) and topped with fresh salsa. Instead, you could skip the rice and eat a full cup of the stew for the same point value.

No comments:

Post a Comment