Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Photo Tutorial: Ribbon Curls

I've been less active with blogging this past week because, well, I've been exhausted! I'm usually part time (because our office is too small for 3 full time MDs and 2 full time NPs), but bump up my hours whenever another provider is out of the office. Due to Passover, two of the providers have been out so I spent the first half of the week seeing 3 panels of patients (which added up to 15 patients during the 3 1/2 hour span I was in the office on Monday morning!), doing all my usual chores, planning my Easter dishes, AND gearing up for bug's big 4th birthday bash in two weeks! It might continue to be slower around here until after the party, but I'll do my best to stay connected.

One of the projects for bug's party was inspired by this blogger's post on Disney Princess ribbon headbands. She gives a ribbon curling tutorial, but when I followed her directions the curls were a bit floppy and started to lose their shape. I did some research and this is the method I used instead. I will post a tutorial on my ribbon figures once I finish them all up!

Supplies: Spray starch, grosgrain ribbon (any width you want to use), clothespins, pencils or dowels, scissors, a towel , and a baking sheet
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees while you get the ribbon ready.
Start by pinning one end of your ribbon to the top of the pencil.
Wrap the ribbon around the pencil keeping the ribbon wraps tightly next to each other, but not overlapping.
When you reach the end of the pencil, cut the ribbon and pin the end. Wrap as many pieces as you want/need. I wrap the entire pencil and trim to the lengths I need after it's curled.
Line up the pencils on the towel and spray each side lightly with the spray starch.
Line up on the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Let cool completely (at least 20 minutes) before unpinning and the curls should slide right off the pencil and be ready for use!

No comments:

Post a Comment