Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Five: Places to Grocery Shop


Today I'm sharing my favorite places to do my family's grocery shopping. Ideally, I would hit up each and every one of these places during my weekend shopping trip, but that may times in and out of the car with an infant and a defiant almost 4 year old is not good for my sanity. Right now I am working on a system to plan out my shopping that lets me rotate between stores on different weeks so I can get all my favorite items, save the most money, and make the fewest number of trips to the store. I'll let you know how it pans out.

5. Sam's Club: When there are items you need A LOT of, Sam's Club is the place to be. Right now this is my place for diapers and wipes. I also stock up on items when we are planning a party.

4. Hannaford: When I need a basic supermarket to get multiple items from one place, this is my preferred spot. I do find myself hitting up Price Chopper sometimes because of the gas discount they offer, but really think the prices tend to be higher overall and find the produce to be lacking in freshness.

3. Roma's: This is a small local business with two locations in the greater capital district area (so if you happen to be reading this and are outside the Albany, NY, area you are out of luck!). I have been frequenting this place since I was a little kid and went there on the weekends with my mom to get deli meat for my school lunch. The store has grown since then and in addition to the best sandwich meat (they make their own ham, roast beef, and turkey that are fabulous!), they now offer a good selection of non-antibiotic/grass-fed/free range beef, chicken, and pork products.

2. Aldi: I have to admit I just rediscovered this place because when I started getting more into organic, less processed foods I shunned Aldi. I thought of it as being a discount food store where all the food must be full of chemicals and disgusting things. After spending over an hour there recently, writing down prices and reading food labels, I discovered that there are many (not all!) products that are just as good as what I am buying at the regular supermarket for a fraction of the price.

1. Trader Joe's: After being introduced to TJ's 10 years ago when I was a college student in Boston I was SO HAPPY when this place finally opened up locally. I love the unique products, friendly staff, and great prices.


No comments:

Post a Comment