Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, March 25, 2013

Raising a Kid that Loves to Read


Reading is something that has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have so many memories of reading book series like The Baby-Sitters's Club, Boxcar Children, American Girls, Goosebumps, and Fear Street when I was growing up. Combine the facts that we didn't have a lot of extra money when I was a kid and I was a fast reader, my parents rarely bought me brand new books. Building my collections required a lot of work visiting used book stores, libraries, and yard sales to find the books I was missing. As I got older I continued to read anything I could get my hands on. I eventually allowed my love of reading to guide me into the wonderful liberal arts program at Boston College where I completed an English degree alongside my science core for medical school.

My husband on the other hand, well, he just doesn't read. I don't think he ever completely read a single book we were assigned in high school or college. After years of begging him, he did finally read the HP series and a few biographies about Walt Disney, but that's about it.

Keeping both of our book backgrounds in mind, I really, really wanted to raise our kids to love reading the way I did. Below you'll find some tips on how I've made literature a big part of my kids' lives...

  1. Build a collection early. If you have any say in your baby shower, ask your friends/family to do what mine did for me - encourage guests to forgo cards and sign a book for the baby instead. After two showers I had a great beginning library for my bug with many classics.
  2. Start reading to your kids as early as possible. I really don't think there is any time that is too early. With my first I was spending SO much time working on breast-feeding that I decided to start reading the first HP book out loud to her while she was nursing. Reading one chapter was just about the perfect length of time for her to eat.
  3. Make a daily routine that includes reading. When my bug was a few months old I started this routine - each morning I would choose a new book (and toy to coordinate if we had one) and place it on the changing table. After each diaper change I would read her the book and play with the toy for a few minutes.
  4. Books at bedtime! We probably didn't really start reading at bedtime until bug was a little older (I want to guess 18 months or so), but now that we have two kids, baby bear has been part of our nighttime reading since she was born. The bug gets to pick out 3-5 books and we snuggle in bed and read them together. Daddy and I swap this routine so we are both involved in reading to them.
  5. Have books in every room that your kid spends time for easy assess. We kept a bookshelf in the bug's bedroom, added a bookshelf organizer to the playroom ,and have a bin under the sofa table in the living room.
  6. Start the tradition early that books are gifts. Encourage family to buy their favorite books to pass on - my bug always asks who gave her which books when we read them so it's a nice way for her to remember different family members.
  7. Visit bookstores and libraries regularly. We try to go to the local library at least once a month and I let bug pick out any books that grab her eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment