Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Late Harvest Tomato Soup

I haven't forgotten my promise to post more. I've actually had so many things I wanted to share this week, but ended up putting them off because I didn't have enough time to sit still and write them down!

Fall colds and asthma are starting to kick in and the last second stragglers that need physicals for the new school year have been flooding the office leaving me with no time to blog during the day. At night I've been busy trying to cook and clean enough to make me feel OK about leaving my husband and girls while I travel to Maine for a conference on pediatric obesity. Now I'm back-logged with lots of things to share! Here's the first of what I hope will be many posts over the next few days...

Last Sunday was a perfect late summer/early fall day. The skies were blue, the sun was shining, and the temperature was ideal. We didn't want to waste any time and were on our way to Indian Ladder Farms by 9 o'clock. We usually pick apples there, but weren't huge fans of the varieties that were out and decided to just visit the animals. The farm was offering late tomato picking for only $7 to fill a peck bag too, so we decided to go for it. We've never picked our own tomatoes and had a lot of fun checking out all the varieties.
My younger daughter loves eating tomatoes fresh off the vine, but the older one only likes them cooked. When we were in the car on the way home she asked if I could make her tomato soup with our harvest. I've never made fresh tomato soup before and was super motivated to try it out.
Making this soup confirmed my belief that I definitely need an immersion blender added to my kitchen gadget collection. Even with the extra mess (and near burns!) from transferring and pureeing in the blender this amazing soup was definitely worth the effort.

Fresh Tomato Basil Soup (based on a recipe from Back To Her Roots)

1 TBSP olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
3 cups broth (I used organic, free range chicken broth)
7 cups tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup milk
*optional garnish: fresh grated Parmesan cheese and fresh croutons*

  1.  Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. 
  2. Cook onions and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened.
  3. Add butter. Once melted, whisk in flour and cook for approximately 1 minute until starting to brown.
  4. Add all ingredients except milk and garnish. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until tomatoes are very soft - approximately 15 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat, add milk, and stir to combine.
  6. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth (or save a step and use an immersion blender!).
  7. Divide into serving bowls and garnish, if desired.
  8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment